Saturday 18 April 2020

Keeping sane

It's interesting being able to incorporate real-life experiences into a post-apocalypse novel, which is what I've been doing with The Risen Part 2. And using that to have constant digs at the Contagion movie - where was the social distancing, and the lock-downs, in that movie? The main take-away of today's events that I've been incorporating into Part 2 is the social cohesion side of things - helping each other, social pride, that kind of thing. It can be easy sometimes to go down the negative route, highlight the darkness. But as they saying goes, there's no darkness without the light.

I now had a better understanding of what they said about cities becoming a river of flesh, and why mutates were solitary by nature. They’d just as happily eat each other as eat us.

- Ffion Adie, The Risen Part 2

One thing I've appreciated during the lockdown is the arts; movies, TV, music and books are getting us through, keeping us sane. I wish I could offer more right now, but only Neon Zero is available for free as things stand. Worth grabbing if you haven't already! As for other entertainment, here's what's kept me sane:

  • Tales from the Loop - Prime TV. This is Simon Stalenhag's art come alive. If you like your sci-fi thoughtful, than you'll enjoy this. The eps are up and down, but all are beautiful to look at. Each ep tries to be a mini morality tale, my favourite one being the third episode that uses frozen time to tell a message.
  • Devs - I'm only half-way through this series but again, another one with a mysterious core. Character-lead too, with Nick Offerman - can't go wrong.
  • Modern Warfare - Damn you, PS4, sitting there with your sexy blue light. I should be writing!
  • Donald Glover Presents - Childish Gambino's new album! Goes well with the sun and blue skies.
  • Latest Bluray purchase: Alice Sweet Alice - a slasher from the 70s, an early Brooke Shields performance, directed by Alfred Sole. This was in my childhood VHS collection (I had multitudes of 100s, all given away at a car boot - why? Oh yeah, I needed space). And it deserved a revisit.
 Stay safe, everyone.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wondered about this, too. I can't remember ever seeing social distancing or economic closures in novels, but does that mean authors never thought to ask that kind of question when researching, or was this reaction just exceptionally 2020?

    ReplyDelete